Click here for NCC Vo-Tech’s School Reopening Information

Click Here For NCC Vo-Tech Equity in Action Information

Home / News & Announcements / DELCASTLE GRABS SPOTLIGHT WITH REVOLUTIONARY WAR HISTORICAL MARKER

Text size: A A A
DELCASTLE GRABS SPOTLIGHT WITH REVOLUTIONARY WAR HISTORICAL MARKER

DELCASTLE GRABS SPOTLIGHT WITH REVOLUTIONARY WAR HISTORICAL MARKER

DELCASTLE GRABS SPOTLIGHT WITH REVOLUTIONARY WAR HISTORICAL MARKER

Delcastle proudly hosted the unveiling of a state historical marker on Wednesday, Sept. 9, commemorating the encampment of George Washington’s troops on the grounds of the school from Sept. 4-9, 1777. The unveiling was attended by historians, school personnel, military representatives, and elected officials.

Delcastle social studies teachers, Dave Battafarano and Donato Rufo, discovered, or rather, “re-discovered” that Gen. George Washington’s Revolutionary Army encamped at a stronghold position in early September 1777, on the east side of Red Clay Creek between Newport, Stanton, and Marshallton – on the very campus of their school – a dream come true for any history teacher! Their research revealed that from this location, Washington’s troops blocked the British army’s route to the Red Clay before they moved on to Chadds Ford. The encampment had 9 separate army divisions totaling 11,000 men who were on-site for four days.

A historical marker was formerly in place on property near the junction of Old Capitol Trail and Newport Road, but had been missing for many decades. The area of the encampment includes the campus of Delcastle Technical High School, and the teachers filed a request to the Delaware Public Archives to have a historical marker placed on the school property so it would be an educational resource and available for all to see. State Sen. Anthony DelCollo and State Rep. Kim Williams sponsored the marker with state transportation funds.