Delcastle Wellness Center
Welcome to your School Based Health Center/SBHC (Wellness Center) at Delcastle Technical High School. This center has been established specifically to make quality health care available to teens. The SBHC is operated by a partnership that includes Christiana Care, New Castle County VoTech School District, and the Delaware Division of Public Health.
The staff consists of a Licensed Clinical Social Worker/Coordinator, Nurse Practitioner, a Registered Dietitian, and an Administrative Assistant. The Wellness Center’s staff works closely with your health care provider, parents and school nurses to create a health care resource. If you do not have a health care provider, the Wellness Center can help you locate one.
Our facility is available to all 9th to 12th graders who attend Delcastle Technical High School.
Our goals are to:
- Promote on-going comprehensive health care to students
- Detect signs of emotional stress and psychological problems experienced by our students and provide or refer for mental health services
- Improve students’ knowledge of preventive health care and assist them in developing healthy behaviors.
To allow your child to use the Wellness Center, you will need to complete the Consent and Registration form. You can print and fill out the Wellness Center Registration Form 2020-2021 and return it, the student can pick one up in the Wellness Center or the Nurse’s office and complete and return it, or you can access this link to register a student. For a new student, especially an 8th grader planning to be a Delcastle student, read this letter for more information.
Wellness Center Registration QR Code
We cannot provide services to your child unless your signature is on the form. You select the services you want for your child and if you do not want a particular service you may refuse it on the consent form. This action allows your child to still benefit from the remainder of services offered.
- Completes a physical for sports (form below), job or college or a routine physical
- Gives immunizations and Tuberculosis Skin Tests (TB)
- Treats minor illnesses and injuries
- Gives information about your health concerns
- Does rapid strep tests
- Screens for and treats sexually transmitted diseases
- Does pregnancy tests
- Provides Reproductive Health (birth control pills/condoms)
- Listens to you
- Provides counseling for social and emotional concerns
- Provides information
- Screens for psychological issues
- Helps you to make positive changes in your life
- Meets with other family members if desired
- Helps make outside referrals if indicated
- Works with parents and teachers if desired
- Runs therapy and education groups
- Works with you on weight concerns
- Develops a plan for healthy eating, including a vegetarian diet
- Discusses sports nutrition and how to fuel your sports
- Helps you with special medical diets such as a diabetic diet, low-fat, low-sodium, etc.
- Works with students with eating disorders
- Provides direction and resources for healthy planning and cooking
Other Information/Community Resource Help:
We also provide information as a service to let you know that there are multiple resources that exist throughout the state to help you and your family gain the medical insurance that you may need and the Wellness Center can help!! Simply contact Don Lappin to get started today!
The Wellness Center can help link you with the community resources that can get your application processed for Medical Assistance, the Delaware Healthy Children’s Program and for the Community Health Access Program.
- Delaware Medicaid – Provides medical assistance to eligible low-income families. You can have a car, a bank account, and a home and still qualify for Medicaid. You can work and may still qualify for Medicaid.
- Delaware Healthy Children’s Program – Provides low cost ($5, $10, $25 per month) health insurance for children who are currently uninsured from birth to the age of 19 who live in families with incomes at or below the reported income limits.
- Are YOU 18 or older?? Assist Program application is available at the Wellness Center!
Both of the above programs require some additional documents to complete the application process. Please include proof of the following items:
- One month of family income (pay stubs, award letters, etc.)
- Self-Employment (completed tax return including schedules)
- Birth date (for newborns only)
- Lawful Alien Status (copy of front and back of cards/papers)
Please feel free to call with any questions or concerns. Although we adhere to a confidentiality policy, we encourage parental involvement in your child’’s wellness plans.
Don Lappin, Program Manager
Wilmington, DE 19804
Phone: (302) 892-4460